You really are something...

Dr.Bob, you truly are a saint from Heaven. Amazing, awesome, sweet, loving are all understatements reflecting your help and dedication and comfort given to all of those who respect and look to you for answers. Thank you for what you do.

Dr.Bob, I have had numerous partners in the past, my last exposure was believed to be with someone who in fact was HIV + roughly a year and half ago. As a matter of fact, I've had a few partners in the past that may have been infected. Throughout my life, I've struggled dealing with my sexual identity, I always figured, if I were to be infected, it'd be for the best just to get it over with...I struggled with the idea of being 'poz' for over a year and half. Deciding how I was going to tell my family, my friends and what changes were to be made. Of course, all of my encounters were without protection (yes I know, it's a slap to the face). Anyhow, in September I decided to go down to my local clinic to get tested - once and for all. They offered two methods, Uni-Gold blood ($264) or a free Oraquick Advance Oral Swab. I figured, what the hell, I might as well go with the latter, why should I have to pay to have a 'POSITIVE' test result....What happened next blew my mind.

NEGATIVE???? So, I figured, it was a false negative and went on thinking I'm still in fact positive. I promised myself, the first thing I was going to do was to get re-tested in January (with the same test mind you) for my new years resolution 'To Live Clean'. I began to see the light - I prayed and prayed that the next test be negative....It was. How could this be? Receptive anal, oral, etc. with an HIV + partner? And yet a year and a half later be NEGATIVE? Doctor, what's going on here? Should I shell out $260 for the uni-gold test? Do I need to?

I'm living on my own, I have only so much to get by every month. I've saved up enough for a donation and it's being mailed. Dr. Bob, if you have time, can you please clarify my situation. Thanks!

Thanks for your very kind comments.

Congratulations and WOO-HOO on your repeatedly negative HIV tests. The results are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No need for any additional HIV testing, particularly something as ridiculously priced as $264 for an HIV-antibody test!

As for your "how could this be?" question, it's important to realize that not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission (thankfully!). For instance, the CDC estimate for the per-act risk for acquiring HIV from receptive anal sex with a partner confirmed to be HIV positive is 50 per 10,000 exposures! Mind you it is indeed possible to contract HIV with a single act of unsafe sex, but it's not as likely as what most people fear. Peruse the archives of this forum to gain a better understanding of HIV-transmission risk. You should find the information both enlightening and reassuring.

So stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing, OK? Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Your gift is warmly appreciated. And since it is obviously a gift of generosity and true compassion, I'm confident it will return to you good karma one-thousand fold!

Be well.

Coffee with AIDS and Milk (HIV IN NASAL MUCOUS)
The Worried one - DONATION ON THE WAY!