Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Dr. Bob 9th time asking!!!! PLEASE READ...DONATION
Mar 3, 2008

Hello Dr. Bob, let me start off by apologizing for writing this message to you because I have already asked it once but it is really making me depressed due to conflicting answers. I also have to say that sending a donation to you is not enough! I wish I could buy you a new car but I can't because I am a college student anyway.....

I am confused about a question I recently asked about sniffing cocaine. I tried cocaine only once and sniffed it a few times throughout the night by sharing a dollar bill with some people. I asked you if sniffing cocaine was a risk for HIV....here are my questions.

1)I asked this question and you said it was a nonexistant to negligible risk. However, I found a post in the archives and you said it is possible. So how possible is it...would you say it's the lowest risk?

2)I also wanted to know if Hep C can affect an HIV test? I know I have to wait until 3 months but I got a test at 6 weeks which was negative, and I know that is encouraging but not conclusive....but would HEP C affect the outcome of an HIV orasure test?

3)If it does what should I do?

4) Hep C is transmitted through sniffing and sharing but why is HIV a lower to nonexistant risk?

I know you have alot of things going on in your life and you help so many people on here as well. But if you could help me this one last time I will send the best donation I can and also share my knowledge with others.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

1. The only theoretical way HIV transmission could occur in this fashion would be for infected blood to be snorted up along with the cocaine. This is extremely unlikely. Consequently the risk remains negligible at best.

2. Actually it's the other way around. The hepatitis C-antibody test may not detect hepatitis C infection in about 20% of HIV-hepatitis C coinfected folks. (However, a hepatitis C viral load will pick up these infections.)

3. Your doctor will know how to screen for basic viral illness. Your worries are not warranted. (This isn't rocket science.)

4. Some illnesses are easier to contract than others due to a wide variety of factors.

Your worries continue to be way out of proportion to any real degree of risk. Stop overanalyzing your situation. It's not helpful and will not change the outcome. In fact you are driving yourself batty with this futile mental masturbation. If you're worried get tested at the three-month mark. It really is just that straightforward.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Motorbike Adventures with working girls in Thailand!!
Next
SCARY SPICE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.