is this unusual

tested negative at 42 days 95 days and 8 1/2 months, all elisa. my exposure was unprotected vaginal and oral sex. developed loose stool 14 days after last exposure which continues now 9 1/2 months. just completed my second sculptra treatment, continued loss of lean muscle mass in legs, and arms. i did a cd4 count at the end of January which was 2 weeks after my last test which read 588 39%. i am 53 years old, ran the marathon last year, lifted weights 3 to 4 times a week so i was familiar with how my body use to look. i limit my running to 5 or 6 miles, actually lift heavier weights with no results. i realize this is not the type of question you generally answer or when you have the responses are generally to move on and seek help. i pose the question anyway as i continue to seek an answer for the drastic change in my life in less than 10 months.

Repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 8.5 months would be considered conclusive and definitive, unless there were rare extenuating circumstances, which I would tend to doubt. (An example would be that your partner was from Mauritania where HIV-2 is endemic and your HIV tests only covered HIV-1.)

There are many causes for loose stools other than HIV! Certainly if you've had irregular bowel patterns for 9.5 months, that could account for weight loss and lack of response to your weight lifting, etc.

My advice:

1. Have your general medical doctor evaluate your persistent loose-stool problem.

2. If you are concerned that there may indeed by "extenuating circumstances" for your negative HIV tests, consult an HIV specialist. A detailed history, physical examination and, if needed, additional laboratory studies will clear up any uncertainties. Write back and let me know what the ultimate diagnosis turns out to be. I remain confident it is not HIV.

Grocery Shopping
I love my positive boyfriend