Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Itumeleng - again!
Feb 28, 2008

Hello Dr. Bob

Thanks you for your answer. So do you think I am ok and don't need to go for a test or something. The reason I ask and I know you is very busy is that I was on this South African website and asked this same question and everyone also on this website is telling me how stupid I am and 'welcome to the club' etc. Which has now made me so worried I feel like it is making me sick. Oh my gosh have I put myself at risk.

God bless

Itumeleng

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Itumeleng,

I don't really have anything to add to the advice I already provided. (See below.) If the latex condom was used properly and did not break, your HIV risk would be nonexistent. If you are worried, get a single rapid HIV test (or ELISA) at the three-month mark to put your irrational fears permanently to rest.

Dr. Bob

Safe Sex? Feb 26, 2008

Hi Doctor Bob

My name is Itumeleng and I am from Soweto in South Africa. My friend told me about this website and it is very good - thank you. English is not my first language so sorry if I am not that good. I am worried. On Saturday night I had sex with a man, he tolds me the next day that he has HIV. I used a condom and when he teld me this I went and check the condom and it seem fine, no breaks in it and all the stuff still in the bottom. I am very scaird now, could I get hiv? Please help, what should I do? I though that I was doing safe sex but now my friends tell me I can still get it from this.

God Bless. I am sorry I have no money for a donation, but will help to tell others how to be safe.

Itumeleng

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Itumeleng,

If the latex condom was used properly and did not break, your HIV-acquisition risk would be essentially nonexistent. HIV cannot permeate intact latex.

I would suggest you spend some time perusing the wealth of information on this site and its related links. It should help you (and hopefully your friends too) understand more about HIV, HIV prevention and safer sexual practices.

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Mulder says the wooohooo is out there
Next
Blood on my Mail

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.