Scared Straight

I can not beging to say how helpfu this site is THANK YOU! I had unprotected sex wit a feamle freind who a week later told me that a past lover of hers died of AIDS an that she was HIV +. WHOA! I got tested ASAP and was negative. Im going absolutely nuts. I go back to get tested at the 6 week mark. I know... wait three months but at this point i have not displayed any initial onset symptoms other than a minor cold which went away in a day but none of the flu like symptoms. Im a very healthy guy and my question is after and exposure to HIV, do you definetly get those intial symptoms during that first 2-4 weeks after than it goes away and if so does it matter if your healthy meaning can the body fight off the initail symptoms and it goes un noticed. Im circumzied, no anal and no noticable bleeding on both partys. We had sex a total of 3 times over the course of a weekend not more that 10-15 min intervals. We did do oral. To the best of my knowledge no other fluids other than vaginal and saliva were exchanged between us. On a scale of 1 to 10 what are my chances of being positive at the 3 month and 6 month mark. I have a new girlfreind. We have protected (Fort Knox)sex and i dont want to scare her. I have not told her about that exposure. I feel very good that I will be HIV negative and this is the Man aboves way to tell me to stop my man whoring ways which i have. giving all the factors of circumzition, female to male variable and no blood or anal what are my chances Doc. Wish me luck and God Bless!

No doubt that unprotected sex places you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Why is it that you only freaked out when you found out a "feamle freind" with whom you did the horizontal mattress mambo told you she was HIV positive? If indeed you've been "man whoring" in commando-Rambo style, you may well have had other HIV exposures. Twenty-five percent of the over 1,000,000 infected Americans have absolutely no idea they are HIV positive! We must all assume all our sexual partners could be HIV positive and take all the necessary precautions (latex condoms) to avoid HIV transmission.

To answer your specific question, no, the symptoms associated with HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS) vary considerably form person to person. Some folks have such minimal symptoms they may not even notice them. As for being healthy, no, that does not offer protection from HIV/AIDS. Just remember Magic Johnson was in great physical shape when the virus found him.

I can't quantify your specific HIV risk, as there are far too many variables to consider viral strain, viral load, concurrent infections, immune integrity, trauma during sex, etc. Whatever your risk, what you need to do next is clear. You need an HIV-antibody test at three months and, if negative, a follow-up test at six months. (The six-month follow-up test is recommended, because you had a documented significant exposure to someone confirmed to be HIV positive.)

Good luck! Continue to practice "Fort Knox" sex to avoid these "WHOA!" experiences in the future. OK?

Final question from crazy straight jacket guy
EXPOSURE TO VAGINAL FLUID