Silicone Lubricants (LUBRICANTS)

A reader posed a question to you asking if silicon was safe for anal sex but did not mention the use to condoms. My question is, aside from acquiring STDS, is silicone safe for use without condoms, that is, safe in the rectum for anal sex - ie intestinal absorption. thanks.

Since I have discussed the fact that silicone-based lubricants are compatible with latex condoms and can be used safely for penetrative sex (vaginal or anal) and since lubricants are applied to the outside of the condom, I assumed it was self evident that the lubrication was safe to be used on rectal and vaginal membranes. But apparently I assumed wrong. So to directly answer your question, yes, silicone lubricants are safe and no, they will not get absorbed. For completeness I'll repost below just one of many questions from the archives discussing lubricants.

QTND: lubricants... mmmm Jul 6, 2006

Hi Doctor Frascino First of all, thank you! we all truly wish to have a Dr. Bob for a close friend, your humor and wisdom inspires everyone. Sorry about my english as it is not my mother languaje. Well, here comes my QTND: I am not sure as how lubricants could affect or not the latex in condoms. Which lubs are safer to use during sex to protect keep condoms intact? I am really short on income now a days, but I highly promise a donation in the very soon future. Thank You soooo much !!!!! Muchas Graciaaaaassss !!!

Yep, that's a QTND, and since I've addressed this topic many times in the past (check the archives!), I'll just review it briefly here, OK?

There are two main types of lubricants that are compatible with latex (condoms, dental dams, gloves, etc.):

1. Water-based lubricants Astroglide, K-Y products, spit/saliva, etc. To find out if a particular lubricant is water-based (and condom-compatible), just read the label!

2. Silicone-based lubricants Wet Platinum, Eros Bodyglide, body fluid, etc. these are odorless, very slippery, less sticky and long-lasting.

For completeness I'll mention that oil-based lubricants should never be used with latex products, as they can damage the integrity of the condom and cause it to break. Types of oil-based lubes include Crisco, butter, whipped cream, hand lotion, soap, mineral oil, etc.

One final note: avoid lubes that contain nonoxynol-9 (N-9), a spermicidal added to some lubricants, which originally was thought to help prevent HIV transmission, but, in fact, facilitates it.

Stay safe. Stay slippery.

curious
You Are So Awesome!! (NEGATIVE TEST AT 11 WEEKS)