Splitting HIV medication in half

I usually work days, but every few weeks I work a week of night shifts (midnight to 8am). I normally take my medication (Sustiva and Kivexa) at 10pm each evening before going to sleep, but have quickly found out that I cannot function on night shift at all if I take my meds before work. A few hours after taking them I'm a disoriented, confused, wool-headed zombie. Is it okay to do the following: take half of each pill at 10pm the night prior to the start of my night shifts, and then a full dose the next morning at 10am, and then each morning at 10am for the duration of my night shifts... and then switch back to taking it at 10pm in the same manner a week later when I switch back to day shift? My doctor said "no problem", but she seems to say that to a lot of my questions so I'd like a second opinion. Thanks in advance.

I would not advise adjusting your meds as you suggest. First off, Sustiva is a capsule and therefore can't be split.

Some suggestions to consider:

1. If you only recently started your Sustiva/Kivexa regimen, the side effects you mention "wool-headed zombie" may well decrease as your body adjusts to the medications. This is usually a Sustiva-related problem and side effects tend to decrease within 6-8 weeks.

2. Consider asking your HIV specialist to write you a medical excuse so that you only work the dayshift. You now have an excellent and very valid medical reason for avoiding the periodic rotations onto the graveyard shift.

3. If you cannot get off the nightshift and the side effects are persistent beyond the initial 6-8-week-treatment period, you might need to consider switching off Sustiva. There are a number of other options for you to consider, if necessary.

Finally, I too worry a bit about an HIV specialist who answers most questions with "no problem." You might want to consider getting a second opinion or even switching to a new HIV specialist if the one you have is not attentive to your concerns.

PLEASE answer doc. 4 time writing NEED DESPARTE HELP PLEASE WILL DO NE THING your my last hope
curious