Question, Thanks, Donation

Dr. Bob,

Thanks for giving your time to educate everyone about such an important topic.

My question is: I used lots of hand lotion on my penis for masterbation purposes. Approximately 1/2 hour later I engaged in protected vaginal sex w/ an escort. I knew that oil-based lubricants could cause a chemical reaction, damaging the condom, but for some reason didn't think about the hand lotion still being on my penis (i.e., it was never wiped off.) until after the protected sex with the escort(the condom was latex, of course) Luckily the condom did not break and had no VISIBLE signs of damage. Therefore, I assumed, there was no increased risk for HIV transmission. However, several of Mr. Kull's posts from 2001 and 2002 note that oil-based lotions may still cause MICROSCOPIC holes in condoms, causing their effectiveness to be compromised even though there is no visible break or tear in the condom. On the other hand, you seem to characterize the risk as being the same, provided the condom does not VISIBLY break or tear. Could you please clarify?

Again, I sincerely appreciate the candid and useful nature of this forum. I am grateful for the information you have provided me about HIV. Your work is very inspiring.

Mike Appreciative reader

P.S. Donation of $50.00 on the way.

Hi Mike,

First off, hand lotion used one-half hour before applying a latex condom would by and large already be absorbed. Oil-based lubricants can decrease the integrity of latex, making it more likely to break. It does not turn a latex condom into a fishnet stocking. Your worries are unwarranted. However, if you remain concerned, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. The results will undoubtedly be negative, but it just might be the most efficient and effective way to put those worries permanently to rest, OK?

Thanks for your kind comments and donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma.

Be well.

Doctor conflict
PCR negative after steroide reduction again