The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help me (PREGNANCY)

Feb 23, 2008

I leave in Ethiopia. I am male living with HIV. My CD4 is now 800 and viral load less than 40 in ML. My problem is I have a wife who is HIV negative, who want to have a baby from me only with sexual intercourse know the baby can be safe with proper medicine but I am worrying that my wife will be infected. How much is the risk of transmission from me to her and is their any possible way decrease the risk and make my wife have baby from me. Please help me what I can do? In my country sperm washing cant work. Please, advise me.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Certainly sperm washing and in vitro fertilization would be the safest way for a magnetic couple to conceive. If that is not an option and you are determined to begin a family, I would suggest you work closely with an HIV/AIDS specialist as well as an HIV/AIDS-knowledgeable obstetrician. The risk of HIV transmission can be very significantly reduced if you have had an undetectable HIV plasma viral load on your HIV medications for the past six months. You should also be screened for any other potential STDs before attempting to conceive. In addition you can discuss with your doctors the best time during your wife's monthly cycle to attempt conception. This would hopefully decrease her exposure and allow for the best chance for pregnancy to occur.

Good luck to you both.

Dr. Bob

Please "edify" this one too

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint