Please talk 2 me, single mother depressed. I love you!

Hi Dr. Bob,

I am very tempted to come to California and make you my Dr. I love your energy and sincerly admire your work! ON TO MY Question. In NOvember I gave oral sex to a man of unknown status, some of his sperm touched my lips which may have had small cuts (my lips are sometimes a little chapped) not sure though. I had a cold a couple of weeks after that. Then a fluctuating low grade fever (ranging from 98 - 99.2 throughout the day)for about a month now. I have had some muscle pain in legs that has gone to my calf and now I think my lymph node behind my knee is swollen. I also have a swollen (painless) lymph node in my neck on the right side. I feel hot and cold. Am I noticing strange things because I'm freaking out or are these true symptoms that are worrisome of early HIV?

Hello Single Mom,

Oral sex (even with a little chapping of the lips) carries only an extremely low risk of HIV transmission. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in determining who is and is not HIV infected. Your particular symptoms are not worrisome for HIV ARS (acute retroviral syndrome). My advice is to stop freaking out and stop worrying. Get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark to put your residual fears permanently to rest. (The results will undoubtedly be negative.) If you are truly "depressed," I'd suggest you get some help with that very real medical problem. This world is far too incredible and our existence on it far too brief to waste even one nanosecond being depressed without just cause. So if you do decide to come out to California, remember to wear a smile, some sunscreen, and as the old song says, "some flowers in your hair", OK?

HIV risk nipple sucking on lactating woman (BREAST MILK and HIV TRANSMISSION)
How can i bring HIV/AIDS testing to my high school?