Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Living a nightmare , please help!
Feb 22, 2008

For the past fortnight or so I`ve been living a nightmare I can`t shake off. I`ve scanned through other letters for hours but can`t seem to find and answer that gives me hope. I had unprotected oral with a sex worker just over a fortnight ago. They seemed to concentrate on the head of my penis more so than normal with hand and mouth and i think some sort of lubricant was used but can`t be sure what. My paranoia tels me it might of been blood or semen.As you`ve guessed I`m having anxiety problems. In the last 2 or 3 days my throat has became red but not really that sore and i have slightly sore glands in my neck. I went and seen my doctor who prescribed me anti biotics for possible Clymidia or Gonohorea which the tests came back neg. I know for reading through the archives that unprotected oral is seemingly low risk but I`m struggling to eat/sleep or work properly as i think I have ARS symptoms. How conclusive is a test at 6 weeks as i don`t think i can go any longer with the pretending to be normal routine. I have no-one to talk to. Please give me your honest opinion. I WILL donate to your charity , I swear to God if I see an answer. Please help me Dr Bob I`m desperate.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Desperate,

Unprotected insertive oral sex with a partner of unknown HIV status carries only a very minimal risk of HIV acquisition. Why would your hooker decide to use "blood or semen" as a lubricant??? Your worries are irrational. Your symptoms are not worrisome for HIV ARS. You identified your problems well in your post: ". . . I'm having anxiety problems . . . . I think I have ARS symptoms . . . . I have no one to talk to . . . ." Your fears are way, way, way out of proportion to any degree of actual risk. Your main problems are anxiety and irrational fear. I would suggest you seek help for those issues from a psychologist or therapist. You do need someone to talk to! You can bring a copy of the post and my reply to your first visit to help focus your therapy.

Regarding HIV testing, antibody testing done prior to the three-month mark is not considered to be definitive or conclusive. A six-week negative test would be encouraging, but not conclusive.

Thanks for your willingness to make a tax-deductible gift to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test will be negative.

Finally, regarding "living a nightmare," you should realize that nightmares are merely bad dreams. They are not real. You need to wake up and smell the Starbucks!

Good luck! (And, speaking of Starbucks, order me a cappuccino, OK?)

Dr. Bob

Previous
Mouth problem, please help
Next
HI DOC, HOW YA DOING???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.