The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Mouth problem, please help

Feb 22, 2008

Dear Dr. Robert J. Frascino:

I am so worried, I have a problem. It's been 1 year that I have gum swelling, but I'm afraid to visit the Dentist, because I was told that you can catch an STD at the dentist blood to blood like HIV, is that true? My family keeps telling I have to go because when I brushed my mouth is loaded with blood and I'm scared. Is the dentist safe to visit? can I really catch HIV at the dentist? I promise a donation, I always support this site. I'm relying on your answer to visit the dentist since you're an EXCELLENT HIV SPECIALIST, best of both worlds. Please help me.

Response from Dr. Frascino


Can you contract HIV by visiting a dentist? Sure. All you need to do is find an HIV-positive dentist willing to bend you over his dental chair and have unsafe sex with you. However, if you're not planning to visit an HIV-positive dentist and have unprotected sex, you should have absolutely no fears about acquiring HIV while having your dental work done, OK?

Think about it dude. If it really were unsafe to visit dentists, do you think anyone would go? So stop worrying and get your teeth and gums attended to without further delay before your teeth begin falling out and you start looking like a pirate.

Dr. Bob

Please help - it is starting again!
Living a nightmare , please help!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint