Sorry Dr. Bob, question reposted anemia and hiv?!

I appreciate you going out of your way to help people especially with concerns so serious as this. Id really appreciate it if you helped me with this one and it would be nice to hear it from an expert.

Well here it goes, In early november i was at a party and was intoxicated and of course did something that i should not have and made the decision to have vaginal sex with someone i did not know. I noticed during the course of this that the condom broke and i do not know how long it was broken. At the time i was not scared and did not really think much of it. About 6 weeks later i had a myserious rash, and i rarely get stuff like this. It than set in that something could have gone wrong. I contacted her and she said she was negative. At the 100 day mark i got an antibody test, which came out negative.

The two concerns that scare me. when i got tested at the department of health the person told me it would not be conclusive until 6 months, but than i notice that others say 3 months? The other concern is that the girl always seems down and also told me that she had anemia, is this a sign that she has hiv and could be lieing, or is it common? What it comes down to is that should i be WooHoo'ing about my 100 day negative result or do i have further concerns to worry about?

Thanks For your time Dr. Bob and hope to here back from you soon!

I would consider a negative 100-day FDA-approved HIV-antibody test following a broken-condom/vaginal-sex exposure with a partner of unknown HIV serostatus to be conclusive. Some older more conservative testing guidelines recommend routine tests out to six months; however, with newer more sophisticated testing assays most HIV specialists and testing centers have set the window period at three months, barring unusual circumstances. The anemia problem would not affect my recommendation, nor is it diagnostic or even suggestive of HIV. (The vast majority of cases of anemia have nothing to do with HIV/AIDS.)

I suggest you stop worrying and start WOO-HOOing. If you want to retest at six months, fine. The result will undoubtedly be negative.

Reliability of Oraquick Advanced Oral Swabs
Thanks indeterminate result resolved WooHoo