Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Really Negative?
Feb 21, 2008

Back in Aug of 07 I had relations with a sex worker. This involved her performing oral on me without a condom and then using a condom for vaginal sex, then finishing with me masturbating to completion without a condom. Shortly afterwards I experienced headache, stress, eye pain, and night hotness/sweats. I have felt stress, guilt, poor sleep, ear pain, neck pain, etc ever since. I was tested via the Oraquick test at 2,3,4,& 5 months; all negative. I was tested with the Quick blood test at 6 months; negative. I still feel stressed, poor sleep, enlarged lymph glands in neck, headache, tired feeling all over which gets worse as the day goes on. I also got prostatitis at the same time and was treated with levaquin, cipro, and high does of gentamicin for approximately 3 months. Could the antibiotics have affected the tests to be negative? Am I worrying about nothing at this point and have another problem? Should I have further HIV testing? I obviously feel guilty and stressed over this whole situation.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Let me get this straight. Three months ago you stepped near or in a large splatter of blood, which may or may not have caused you to cut your chin. (WTF????) And the story continues . . . . You walked into a puddle of water and are afraid some blood got onto your gloves from your feet when walking forward, causing the water/blood to go up. (I repeat, WTF???) And so you are worried you might have contracted HIV, because you might or might not have wiped your face with the glove and might or might not have come into contact with a cut, assuming you had one. Ay ay ay!!! So that's question #1. (Readers, this week's non sequitur award definitely goes to this questioner!)

The main concern of question #2 is that you apparently took an HIV test, which came back negative (wow, there's a real shocker!), but you're doubting the result, because you very rarely eat fruits and vegetables and hence, probably, lack vitamin C. And you read somewhere that vitamin C boosts the immune "sister." Therefore you're concerned your lack of fruits and veggies would affect your ability to make antibodies.

Finally you want to know if you're positive can you still go to the gym. Gosh guy, I'll bet some days it just seems like it's not worth the effort to wake up and chew your way through your restraints.

Briefly your HIV risk is nonexistent. Your HIV test results are definitive. Your diet will not affect the results. Yes, you can go to the gym (if you get a pass out of the locked psych ward).

Dr. Bob

Previous
Third Time!! Please Dr for the sake of my sleep
Next
thanks, woohoo, donation and want to help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.