Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Could I be the unlucky one???
Feb 21, 2008

Dear Dr. Robert, first of all I would like o thank you for all the humor and good advice you're giving us w/w's. You are truly a marvelous guy!

----------- My case: 30 y ol male, togheter with the most wonderful girl in the world. However, I used to be a sailor, and it unfortunately happened a couple of times that we visited brothels. I had a few encounters-vaginal sex with prostitutes, bear in mind always with latex on the "dipping" stick, and the prostitutes always insisting on condom use. Bear in min that this was stuff that happened 8 years back in time, and I tested negaive after my last exposure(which really isn't an exposure since condom was properly used)-however this was only four weeks post the last exposure, and now when "life" is supposed to start, getting married, hopefully have a child or two, I am starting to second guess, and find myself in the worried-well hell. Reason why I get worried is that I seem to remember that 2 weeks after my negative test I got Ill, fever and headaches- however that is not uncommon in northern europe in february, as it was. ---------------- I have the courage to get tested, not gonna waste my life worying for something that probably/hopefully hasn't happened, but please tell me- if 'i test positive, how can I live with myself, knowing that I might have infected the ONE I love. That is my main concern. I am not worried about myself at all, excellent health, except I can feel one lymph node in my neck, which has been there as long as I can remember. Just give me a little advice so I can snap out of w/w hell.

Will be donating after results.

Hugs&kisses from a hetero male

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Hetero-Male,

Assuming that latex condoms were used properly and did not fail, your HIV-acquisition risk would be essentially nonexistent. So why are you so hung up on worrying about infecting someone eight years after what amounts to a non-exposure? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Get a rapid HIV test to put your residual unwarranted and irrational worries permanently to rest. You'll be WOO-HOOing in as few as 20 minutes. If you don't and continue to write in with these inane worries, I'll come over and give you a swift kick in the butt, OK?

Hugs and kisses to you too (much more pleasant than having to endure my "asskickery").

Be well. Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Relevant of a Post-exposure treatment
Next
Oral sex... please, I need some help. Also... where can I make a donnation??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.