Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Kindly edify" this" occupational incident
Feb 21, 2008

Dear Sir, I am a practising Radiologist here in India.I work in a multi speciality hospital.This morning when I was assisting 'ultrasound guided Liver abscess aspiration', I was not wearing protective gloves when handling the transducer.As the procedure got underway, the surgeon happen to withdraw the 'pig tail catheter' from the cavity when I was looking at the monitor, and in the process, sprayed the transducer and my hands with droplets of blood.I think there were no fewer than 4-5 droplets of patient's blood on both my hands.I had a good look at my hands and when the assisting nurse put a little surgical spirit on my hands to clean up immediately, I noticed a small, about 4-5 millimeter superficial cut on my right thumb.Now am not absolutely certain that there was blood on that breach, however I did experience a little burning sensation when the spirit came into contact of the same.I quickly ordered for a HIV1&2, and HbsAg serology tests for the patient.The pathology staffer carried out 'spot tests' approved by US.FDA as well as other equivalent bodies in our country. She said the patient's status for Both HIV 1 &2 as well as HbsAg were Negative. Ofcourse Dr.Bob, there were anxious moments for me, so much so that I actually tried to squeeze the little cut on my thumb to see if the wound bled.It did not.There was probably some serous appearing fluid, tiny amount at that. We consulted the Post Exposure Prophylaxis for HIV Guidelines.It says if a health care worker is exposed to HIV Negative blood, by way of superficial pricks or deep pricks, no P.E.P is warranted. That information has indeed eased my anxiety a bit, and please Dear Dr.Bob, write to me and confirm my faith in the guidelines for HIV P.E.P, which clearly says sup/deep pricks from HIV NEGATIVE sources does not mandate p.e.p.Kindly do write back.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I absolutely concur with the guidelines and would not recommend a course of PEP for this type of exposure.

Dr. Bob

Previous
just wanted to say thank you..
Next
Relevant of a Post-exposure treatment

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.