The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I too followed the Swiss Report & rec'd BB anal

Feb 20, 2008

Dear Dr. Bob,

Just now I read your appraisal of the Swiss report on having unprotected sex when one's VL is undetectable.

Yup, I'm poz and undetectable for over 5 years. I believed the report, and just today received unprotected anal sex - not once, but twice from my Hiv neg partner.

There seems to be no doubt that he must begin PEP within 24 hours (with Atripla or the equivalent?), unless you advise otherwise.

What makes matters worse is I have followed every rule for over 18 years.

Kindly reply.

signed, a dumb guy with Swiss roots

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Swiss-Roots Guy,

Based on what we know or perhaps more accurately what we don't know I would recommend a course of PEP for your partner. Perhaps your HIV specialist would be willing to prescribe the medications on an urgent basis and follow your partner for his 28-day course as well as arrange for his post-PEP follow-up tests. An HIV specialist can help select the best PEP regimen based on your medication history and resistance profile.

The reassuring news from the Swiss Report and other sources is that since your viral load has been undetectable, the HIV-transmission risk would be significantly decreased.

Good luck to you both. I'm here if you need me, OK?

Dr. Bob

Will You Forgive Me?
Response to Feb 18 Post Re: Needle Exchange

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint