Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Awareness in the UAE
Feb 20, 2008

Dear Dr. Bob,

First of all, allow me to thank you for this AWESOME website. I like getting educated about these things, and this website with all its archives is just a great encyclopedia. I can't help but come here twice or three times a week to take a look at your answers to some of the great questions posted.

Furthermore, as I came across one of the questions asked by someone living in the UAE, it really shocked me that we do not really have that kind of awareness here - I also live in the UAE and was born and grew up here. As kids, we were never educated on how it is transmitted, what are its symptoms, what happens, etc. We just got to know that it is a deadly virus which you get through sex with someone who is HIV+!!!

I am sure that there are other people here in the UAE who would want to raise awareness. The rules say if you're HIV+, you can't stay in the country. That's ok, but how about the fact that we teach our kids and the next generation more about this deadly virus. I mean, we travel a lot! So if, theoretically, there are no HIV+ people here, it can still be gotten from another country! right?

what do you suggest can be done? Not every person will get the chance to visit this amazing website as a lot might not know about it. I wouldn't mind telling my friends about it, but then how do we spread the word?

I also understood that we can make donations for HIV research through the website? please tell me how!??!!? would love to help out!

Thank you very much for your time and for putting so much effort in helping all of us out.

God bless you and your great cause. I will always come back to read your replies. You can count on that :)

All the best.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thanks for your kind comments. I applaud your desire to spread the word about HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention in UAE.

As for "The rules say if you're HIV+, you can't stay in the country. That's OK . . . ." What???? That is certainly not OK!!! Discriminating against someone simply because they acquired a viral illness is unconscionable and should never be condoned or tolerated. That "rule" needs to be abolished.

As for how do you spread the word, well start by talking to all your friends and family about HIV/AIDS. There's a wealth of information on this Web site you can use for your discussion. Have them talk to their friends, write letters to newspapers, start a club, get some publicity, ask for assistance for AIDS service organizations in that part of the world, etc. The ways of getting involved are endless. Ultimately change begins with a single person. Hopefully for UAE, that person will be you.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Too much info, but...
Next
Follow Up: Squirty Boobies, wahoo, for the worried, donator for life

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.