Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I need your wise counsel Dr.
Feb 18, 2008

Greetings Dr. Robert. I am a 22 year old male. Aproximately about 3 1/2 years ago I recieved unprotected oral sex and I gave protected anal sex to a person who I am pretty much sure is Hiv positive, exactly 8 months after that exposure I tested for varios std's including Hiv(Elisa)luckily I was all negative and non reactive. However about a month after that in april 2005 I went on a cruise with the family and did something stupid, I was given a short intercourse of unprotected oral sex by an unknown female. Almost two years passed and my anxieties got the best of me I became a bit obssesed with being Hiv positive and decided to test Hiv again this time by (rDNA) Elisa, ABBOT (whatever that means, that was written in my results page) I was lucky again and tested negative. I have never had unprotected genital sex in my life only the two unprotected orals I mentioned earlier, still I am a greatly depressed because I am suffering from some sort of facial lipoatrophy on the area beneath my right eye I have lost fat in that area and people are beggining to notice it :( I am worried sick because that is one of the main physical marks of Hiv due to metabolic changes. I have to mark that my loss of facial fat is quite odd because it is only happening in one specific area of the face (in my upper cheek benath the right eye), I dont know if it was caused my a wound I was given during my preadolesence or by lipoatrophy, sitll the loss of fat is visible and only in that area of the face. Please doctor I need your counsel whether I should test again for Hiv or look for help elsewhere. I apreciate your time for answering. Be well.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your HIV risk (oral sex) is negligible. Your negative HIV tests out to two years are conclusive and definitive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Your isolated symptom, "some sort of facial lipoatrophy on the area beneath my right eye," is not HIV related. Why? Because you are not HIV infected. Period!

Stop perseverating on an illness you could not possibly have. If you're concerned about a facial deformity, see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Final Word on the DNA PCR
Next
hiv+ and oral sex

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.