Oraquick Results

Hi Doctor, first of all I would like to thank you for the time and effort you take to answer our questions, not to mention the invaluable wealth of information provided on this forum.

On Dec 5, 2007 and after a 10 year, married and monogamous heterosexual relationship, I ventured with a male partner of unknown status, although he said he went through surgery earlier in the year and tested negative for all STDS, including HIV. I performed oral sex on him, involving primarily the shaft and scrotum, with a 5 second insertion of the glans into my mouth. To my knowledge there were no fluids exchanged, as he later ejaculated while masturbating. 5 days later I was diagnosed with Acute Pharyngitis, bad taste on the throat and raised spots on my tongue, I also developed a tiny, reddish rash on my glans and tingling sensation at the urethra/ prostate. I felt pressure and mild pain in my adbomen as well as where the vas was cauterized due to a vasectomy 3 years ago, which could signal a disseminated infection I suppose.

I later developed a scattered but mild rash resembling pimples, very round and firm, pinkish looking, a few on the face, some on my back and upper chest which resolve after a few days.

I also noticed a few spots of petachiae on my scalp and a bit of itching around the body, also a few small brown freckle like spots have surfaced under my fingers, as well as 4 or 5 clear bubbles around 1/16" surfaced but subsided, leaving marks.

I have not had chills or any type of discharge from my penis.

Having read through various threads about oral sex safety and STD's, anxiety has set in and went to get an Oraquick HIV test which came back negative after 8-1/2 weeks.

I know my signs are varied, but do any of these symptoms warrant additional testing, or could stress be the culprit?

Your HIV-transmission risk is so remote it's essentially nonexistent. Your "symptoms" are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV ARS (acute retroviral syndrome). Your 8.5-week negative HIV test is very encouraging, although not conclusive. (HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive.)

My advice is simple:

1. Stop worrying.

2. If you can't stop worrying, get another rapid HIV test at the three-month mark to put your residual HIV fears permanently to rest. (The result will undoubtedly be negative.)

3. Level with your wife. It's not only the best way to confront your guilt; it's also the right thing to do.

4. Consider getting some counseling to explore sexual orientation issues.

worried on reactive elisa
Dr.Bob, a shrink couldn't help me...