Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

WANTING TO HAVE BABY PLEASE HELP. ABCESS KISS
Feb 15, 2008

Hi Dr. I would greatly appreciate your help. Back in nov of 2007 I kissed a girl of unknown status. I have an abcess on my gums which will puss and bleed at times (along with all my teeth having receeding gums) I deep kissed the girl and when the weekend passed we both got cold sores (which i have gotten before). Was there a risk of getting hiv through the kiss.I'm just thinking if she had blood in her mouth and it got in my abcess or receeding gums. At 83 days post exposure i was negative on elisa and pcr dna. however my tcell count is very low around 400 which i talked to a two hematologists about, but they didn't seem too concerned. I say this being that since HIV attacks t cells to replicate if mine are low maybe i would seroconvert more than 3 or six months or that i am still "undetectable" because the virus doesn't have enough t cells to replicate to a detectable level. Then i used a public (while drunk) restroom and there was a piece of tape (that looks like it was on someones finger and looked like it had blood on) near the sink, i used the sink without thinking and i had the fresh finger cut from the rapid hiv test still open from the day before. Could I have contracted hiv this way?? I'm just thinking if there was blood on the faucet or soap dispenser and i touched it and it got in my cut??...is this possible? My girlfriend and I wanted to get tested so we could ease our minds...how confident should i be at this point? should I consider the kissing or bathroom incident another exposure risk and wait 6 or more months, or even at teh 90 day mark (a few more days) then again at 6 months.?? We would like to have a Baby now (hence no protection) and I'm not sure how I should feel at this point.should i be confident im negative??or go back at 6 months from bathroom incident?? or kissing incident??.please please help.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your HIV risks are negligible at best. Your negative day-83 ELISA is close to the recommended three-month window date. The nondetectable HIV PCR DNA, while not a test recommended for HIV screening, further confirms your negative status. Why were T-cell counts even ordered? That test was not indicated and now you're concerned about a result from a test that was not appropriate to order in the first place. I agree with the hematologists. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. (The HIV PCR DNA and T-cell count should never have been ordered in my opinion.) The HIV-transmission risk from the potential blood on the faucet and soap dispenser is so remote that it's essentially nonexistent.

My advice is simple:

1. Get to a dentist and have the abscess and receding-gums problems attended to!

2. No further HIV testing is warranted.

3. Let the baby making process begin!

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Air Force guy in Iraq very worried!
Next
Happy Valentines Day

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.