Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Air Force guy in Iraq very worried!
Feb 15, 2008

Hi Doc, thank you for all of your help. It really means a lot.

About two months ago, I had unprotected sex with a woman I didnt know. The very next day, I started having a dull ache in my pubic area. A couple of weeks after that, I started devolping a foul odor. There's no way to put this nicely, but when I farted, it smelled different too. Now, two months later, though the odor is gone, I still have those pains in the pubic area. I am also having a pain in my right knee. I am very worried that I am HIV positive, but some things just don't make sense. They say that symptoms start two weeks after you're infected and last for only six weeks. Mine started the day after I had sex, and have lasted for two months! What's the deal doc? Is this common? do I have HIV, or some other STD like Chlymidia or Gonnorea? I want to thank you for all of your help. I will never be able to explain how much it means to me.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Air Force Guy,

Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently, symptoms or no symptoms, you should have an HIV test at the three-month mark. That said, you also should not be overly concerned about your current symptoms being related to HIV. Symptoms, like smelly farts, pubic pain and right knee discomfort, are not suggestive of or worrisome for HIV. Also HIV-related symptoms do not appear "the very next day." They take several weeks from the time of exposure to manifest.

My advice is simple:

1. Get your current symptoms, if they are persistent, checked out by your medical team.

2. Get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark.

3. Always use latex condoms to avoid ever putting yourself in this predicament again.

4. Come home safe and sound (and soon!).

(Obama will be president fairly soon and we'll have you out of there ASAP.)

Good luck. Stay safe.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Masturbating on pillow and contacting ur own semen? (CAN YOU GIVE YOURSELF AN STD?)
Next
WANTING TO HAVE BABY PLEASE HELP. ABCESS KISS

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.