WITH LOVE

Hello Dr.Bob

I read your messages everyday because I enjoy them. When people write about wanting to commit suicide do to fear of getting HIV it makes me sick! You have to realize these people are weak and would be unable to cope and deal with HIV lije you are able to. I know I am nobody to make you feel better but you have to take there messages with a grain of salt.

Thanks for taking the time to write in and for your support. The reason I comment on those "I'm going to commit suicide if you don't answer me" or "I'm so scared I'm going to kill myself" type of questions is to point out how self-centered such ridiculous claims are. By pointing out how they come across to those of us who are actually infected with the virus that they are merely worried about often helps the questioners to put their problems into a more rational and appropriate perspective. For example, see below the response I received today from just such a poster.

thanks and i do apoligize Feb 12, 2008

My post about being a suicide risk was inconsiderate and i should have put things into perspective. Thank you for still being kind enough to provide your reassurance. You are a strong and wonderful man; I am weak and narrow minded. I dont know how you do all you do but I give you all the credit in the world. Please accept me deepest apoligizes and keep doing all you do(including to help all us crazies like me-but put this last on your agenda) I will try and get help like you suggested. You do not have to post this. I am truly sorry.

Apology accepted.

DR BOB I AM IN DIRE NEED... SUICIDE RISK Feb 11, 2008

I am a young female. During a period of binge drinking I had unprotected penile-vaginal sex with 2 different fellas- 2 occasions total. These pot. exposures lasted a max of 1-2 min each with no ejaculation. Didnt know much about either of these guys and have been going crazy for MONTHS & MONTHS. Well i heard a rumor that one of these guys started using drugs regularly in Sept-my exposure was in early July so if true this doesnt effect me. Still cannot stop thinking about all the what ifs. My mind is getting the best of me. So obviously I tested. I tested and tested. About 10 or 11 times since July. My last test was about 7 months( a little over 28 weeks) from my last pot. exposure. I havent really experienced symptoms other than severe anxiety and depression. I called the CDC they said I am negative and no further tested warranted. Do you agree? Could late seroconversion be a possibility? HIV not my problem no way no how? please answer me!!! I need closure so badly. I cant stop crying.HELP. Oh and if I may say YOU ARE AMAZING DR. BOB!!

yours truly, cant take it anymore

I absolutely concur with the advice you received from the CDC. Your repetitive (and highly excessive) testing out to 28 weeks from your last potential exposure are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. OK? However, that said, you do indeed have a problem, which you accurately diagnosed in your post: ". . . severe anxiety and depression." I strongly urge you to seek help for these very real medical conditions. Your HIV fears are unwarranted and irrational. Counseling and therapy could help you confront these fears as well as help you cope with your depression and anxiety. Stop crying, but do get the help you need, OK? Also, I should note, I generally delete questions from those that claim they are considering suicide merely because they fear HIV. I find these questioners insensitive, since they are asking for help from someone who is himself HIV positive and living with the challenges of coexisting with the virus every day. You, on the other hand, have had an excessive number of negative HIV tests and been advised by the CDC that you are HIV negative. And for this you are a "SUICIDE RISK"??? Can you see why that's a bit like scratching your fingernails on the blackboard to someone like me?

thanks and i do apoligize
Extremely Worried and Sorry!!