Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cough??

Feb 12, 2008

I went to a new ID doc last week and told him that I have had a small cough that produces green mucous for over 2 weeks and counting.. He listened to my chest and said my lungs are clear and gave me some Nasonex. ( no help) Having ok cd4 counts (500) and unded vl my question is this.. Can it be something of concern? The reason I have some concern is that in all of my 48 years of life, I have never ever had a cough with green mucous and I've also never been able to try and bring up mucous. Any ideas? thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Productive coughs can be caused by bronchitis, pneumonia and sinusitis. Since the ID doc listened to your lungs, we can assume he didn't think you had a significant chest infection. Hence, he tried you on the nasal spray, most likely thinking this could be allergy-related. However, if the "green mucous" (ick) continues, increases or is associated with other symptoms, such as fever, headache, etc., you should go back for a reevaluation. "Green" colored mucous can indicate you have some type of infection. With your high CD4 counts, your immune integrity should be quite good. Consequently I strongly doubt this is a significant opportunistic infection. More likely it's a routine head or chest cold and possible bronchitis.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Waking Up!!!!!!!!
Next
CD is not cooperating ;-(

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.