Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Cough??

I went to a new ID doc last week and told him that I have had a small cough that produces green mucous for over 2 weeks and counting.. He listened to my chest and said my lungs are clear and gave me some Nasonex. ( no help) Having ok cd4 counts (500) and unded vl my question is this.. Can it be something of concern? The reason I have some concern is that in all of my 48 years of life, I have never ever had a cough with green mucous and I've also never been able to try and bring up mucous. Any ideas? thanks

Productive coughs can be caused by bronchitis, pneumonia and sinusitis. Since the ID doc listened to your lungs, we can assume he didn't think you had a significant chest infection. Hence, he tried you on the nasal spray, most likely thinking this could be allergy-related. However, if the "green mucous" (ick) continues, increases or is associated with other symptoms, such as fever, headache, etc., you should go back for a reevaluation. "Green" colored mucous can indicate you have some type of infection. With your high CD4 counts, your immune integrity should be quite good. Consequently I strongly doubt this is a significant opportunistic infection. More likely it's a routine head or chest cold and possible bronchitis.

Waking Up!!!!!!!!
CD is not cooperating ;-(