Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

2nd Time (thrush main symptom)
Feb 10, 2008

Dear Dr. Bob,

I had written once more, but did not receive a reply. As suggested, I have also searched the forum for answers to queries similar to mine but did not find a very close situation (some were similar though), and so my question to you again.

Background - Fooled around with a girl some time back, kissing, caressing, etc. She gave me a handjob (I had a condom on). On a second occasion, she sucked my penis for 1-2 times without condom, but no fluid exchange. All this while, there was no penetration

Symptoms - 2-3 months after this, I had a severe case of stomatis (as prescribed by an ENT doc). Took many antibiotics. It healed up in 1 week. I also had slight fever for ust 1 day. And had 3-4 red color marks on chest (no pain, irritation in these). Since then I have had a case of white tongue. It has been 2 months since then and I keep having the white tongue. It is stedily improving, but it is still present. From my research on web, I found that stomatis is a severe case of "Thrush" and thrush is an indicator of HIV infection. Apart from spending time on web looking through this (which is not very helpful at work), I seem to be obsessed with self-diagonising this (definately not a good thing, because I am an engerring graduate and not a medical professional).

Some questions: 1. What do you think are my chances of infection? I know getting tested is the only sure way to get an answer, but can you estimate what are the risks? Also is a rapid test a good thing to go for? I have also contemplated a rapid HIV test (FDA approved) that you can run at home? 2. Is persistent thrush (if I have one, my self-diagnosis is white tongue) common? What can be some of the factors that cause this? The condition is getting better but it is not completely gone. I am driving myself insane checking the color of my tongue every 1 hour at work!

I have a good year coming up (good relationship, MBA at top school), and now feel depressed with this uncertainity and anxiety. I look forward to your response and would gladly help out with a donation for your good work.

Thanks, Waiting for your answer.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible.

Stomatitis means inflammation of the mouth. It does not mean you have or had thrush. There are many causes of mouth inflammation.

To address your specific concerns:

1. Negligible. FDA-approved rapid tests are very accurate.

2. No. (And I doubt you have thrush.) Thrush can be associated with the use of antibiotics or steroids, a suppressed or deficient immune system as well as a variety of other underlying conditions.

Stop driving yourself crazy and drive yourself to your doctor's or the local clinic and get a rapid HIV test. You'll be WOO-HOOing twenty minutes later.

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
HIV tests
Next
DR bob it's me can you read my test result please

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.