Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is sex out of my life forever?
Feb 10, 2008

I have known I was HIV poz for 20 years now, I most likely was originally infected back in the very early '80's, but not diagnosed until '88.

My CD count has been as low as single digits at times and viral has been "OFF THE CHARTS", but for the last 7 years, Viral has been undetectable, while my CD4 count has risen from a stable 55-65, up to current counts of 500+.

Currently my meds consist of Videx EC (200mg QD), Kaletra (800mg BID), Sustiva (400mg QD), and Diflucan (200mg QD).

My real question is one of sexual function and sensation... almost 9 years ago I came down with Cryptococcal Meningitis, and nearly died, but somehow came through and have had increasing good health ever since, but after getting out of hospital (5 week stay), it seems that I have lost 100% of my desire or sex drive, my testosterone levels are in the "normal" range, I have used Depo-Testosterone in the past as well as Androgel, to no effect. Currently I have a partner (we've been together for several years but without any real sex life) and while I've more or less come to accept the way things are, I know he would like to have sex with me as I would with him, but my dick just wont respond.

While I have no "drive" even when I can manage to get an erection (using cialias, etc.) when I have an orgasm, it's almost painful because it feels as if there is more that's trying to happen but seems "blocked" or in some way just doesn't happen. As a result an orgasm is not in the lest bit enjoyable.

Could there be a blockage or some other internal reason why I can't seem to have a normal orgasm? Along with a feeling of "there should be more", when it comes to the actual ejaculate is minimal, and yellowish in color and I understand that with age there is a decrease in quantity as well as the veracity of quantity, what I get just seems to "dribble" out and that's it...

All I'm left with is frustration, a semi-sore dick from overwork to achieve orgasm, etc. it's less than enjoyable for me.

Is there ANYTHING I can do to get back some of my desire and/or function, it would be nice to enjoy something which was so much a part of my life for so many years, and is now non-existent.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

This is a complex subject and beyond the scope of this forum. What I would suggest is that you consult with an HIV-knowledgeable urologist and neurologist to ascertain exactly what the problem is and if it's fixable.

Good luck!

Dr. Bob

Previous
can i WOHOO becaue i donated blood...promis to donate!
Next
please doctor I beg you.. 5th timeI write.. how do I do to donate??

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.