Should I start PEP treatment?

Hi dr Bob,

Sorry to bother you again with this same question, I am just not sure what to do. I am 31 years old female. I have been married for a number of years and yesterday did something really stupid. I had sex with a stranger and altough I insisted on using condom he somehow managed to enter his penis into my vagina without a condom. It was for only brief moment (maybe 1 minute)before I realised what's going on and pushed him away. I went to the emergency department in the local hospital to ask about the PEP but was instead publicly humiliated by the staff member who was asking me very personal questions in a front of all the people waiting there!I left and now, few hours later I am considering if I should go back and try again. It's Sunday and Sexual Health Clinic is not open till tommorrow so I would need to go back to the emergency department. I would like to ask you for the advise before going there as I expect it won't be a good expieriance and maybe it isn't necessary in my case. I already spoke to my husband about what happend and would like to do anything that I can to protect him. Thank you for your help and time.

Without a much more complete history, it's difficult to provide specific advice on whether to PEP or not to PEP. Generally speaking, very brief receptive vaginal sex without ejaculation with a partner of unknown HIV status would not warrant a recommendation for PEP. HIV testing at the three-month mark would be warranted. You should use latex condoms with your husband during this window period until you get your definitive result back.

Good luck!

Whoa Nellie (REACTION TO CHURCH LADY)
Dr.Frascino, I need your advice