Blood Donation? (BLOOD DONATION)

Dear Dr. Bob: First, I want to comment on the recent post about you being an inconsiderate fraud. That person, truly does owe you a major apology. You're one of the nicest people via the internet, that I've ever met. You deserve a grammy award for the time and effort that you take in answering millions of paranoid questions. Before, this gets too long and boring, I wanted to know how I should answer the blood donation questions pertaining to sex? I've been donating blood for years, but stopped a few years ago, because I started mutual masturbation with other men. I've probably mutually masturbated with about 20+ over the past two years; and eversince then, I've been afraid to donate. Not so much because of the HIV and STD's, since you've always said, that mutual masturbation is safe. However, would mutual masturbation be considered to be in the same catagory, that they're referring to, regarding the sex questions that they ask? I don't want to be selfish and find out through blood danation and put someone at risk receiving; however, I don't feel that my exposures merit spending the money on an HIV test either? I don't know? I just want to know if you think that I'm okay, from what I've described in my behavior, and eligible to donate blood? Thanks for your time. A donation is on its way.

The Vampire

Hi Vampire,

A Grammy Award??? Would that be in the new "Cyber Sexpert" category?

As for blood donations, the policy banning anyone who has had man-to-man sex makes no sense medically or scientifically. (See below.)I would advise you merely complete the form and answer the questions. Where they ask about sex you can write in mutual masturbation. Then let them decide. Do I personally think you're safe to donate? Yep!

The Issue of Blood donation!!!! (BLOOD DONATION) Feb 9, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob,

I don`t understand why they do not allow gay men to donate blood. I mean isn`t there just as much chance that a straight person has HIV. And how does the donation process work anyhow?? After blood is donated they can;t use it right away can they? I mean isn`t there a chance that a person may have contracted the virus a few weeks before donating and it would not show up in the screening process. I mean I am a straight female, married with children and I am not involved in any activity that could make me contract the virus, however I could go to the dentist,or doctor for blood tests and as much as we have to trust that they use clean needles and instruments etc, there is a chance that they don`t and someone could contract the virus. So shouldn't the blood be kept somewhere for 3 months anyway and get tested before it is given to someone??

I've written about this unwarranted and unjustifiable policy many times over the years. (Check the archives.) There is absolutely no medical or scientific rational to justify it. Once our science-phobic, common-sense challenged current inhabitant of the White House leaves office, this and other immoral unscientific policies will be abolished. Other countries have lifted similar bans quite some time ago. Costa Rica is the most recent. See below.

Costa Rica Lifts Ban on Gay Blood Feb 9, 2008

Costa Rica Lifts Ban on Gay Blood Donations August 13, 2007 by Dylan Vox

Los Angeles, CA - The United States is still under the antiquated rule that gay men are not allowed to donate blood because of the risk of spreading infectious disease. This month, Costa Rica showed that they might be a few steps ahead of us as President Oscar Arias signed an executive order to lift their ban.

Earlier this year, despite a recommendation from the American Red Cross and other blood sources, the FDA refused to lift the American ban on blood donations from gay people. The Red Cross has criticized the policy as "medically and scientifically unwarranted," but the US Government felt that the risk of introducing HIV and AIDS into the blood supply was still too much of a risk to recall the lifetime ban.

Activist Alberto Cabezas, who led the drive to lift the ban in Costa Rica, saw his work come to fruition this month when Arias signed the order which would again allow gays to donate blood. Cabezas said that the action proved that the government "sees gays as humans [who] have the same rights" as others.

Since the first out break of HIV in the 70's, many countries have banned blood donations from men who have had sex with other men. Even though any group is at risk, and in some cases more at risk than homosexuals, the ban on gays has become commonplace. Gay rights groups have fought to lift the US ban stating that the practice was discriminatory.

Gay rights advocate Peter Tatchell explained that the ban on gay blood donors "is based on the assumption that all homosexual and bisexual men are 'high risk' for HIV," and that the "policy seems to reflect homophobic prejudices, not medical facts."

The hope is that Costa Rica will set a precedent for other countries to follow.

Copyright 2007 GayWired.com, All Rights Reserved Comments: Comment Order: Newest FirstOldest First

Thanks! Unfortunately there is not much hope the U.S. will follow suit until King George the "W" ends his Reign of Error.

blood to blood (HIV TRANSMISSION BETWEEN TWO HIV NEGATIVES) (HIV FROM TWO HIV NEGATIVES)
my CD4 versus viral load