The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hey there you sexy man you!!

Feb 8, 2008

Hey there Doctor Bob, well, about 2 years ago, I had protected intercourse (I am gay) with another man. Actually, in the last 4 years, there have been numerous men, HOWEVER, it's all been protected to the maximum extent...At least I hope so. So, roughly 2 years after my last exposure, I took a trip down to the local trans-gender counseling center, which offers HIV testing. At 2 years and at 2 years 3 months, I had (2) Oral Oraquick tests done. Both were negative, and I was told to move on with my life and keep my trouser snake protected as usual. So my question to you my dear is - Can I get out there and start smackin' cheeks again, or am I in dire need of a Blood test? I hear a lot of negative things regarding oral tests. BUT, I've had two with two negative results...Your advice is appreciated and ultimately desired. I'd trust you over any other physician/clinic admin any day of the week. BTW, are the tests fool proof? See ya!

Response from Dr. Frascino


Let the "cheeks smackin'" begin; safely, of course. A blood test is not warranted. Negative oral OraQuick tests performed three months or more after your last potential exposure are considered to be definitive and conclusive. Are the oral rapid tests foolproof? Yeah, any ol' fool at the local transgender or other testing center should be able to run these accurately.

Dr. Bob

28 pills a day!!
Wasting away and freaking out!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint