Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

IgA question (NOT IN THE ARCHIVES!)
Feb 6, 2008

Hello Doc, I have looked for information in the archives but I found nothing about this.

I had a single exposure with a girl (very probably HIV+) 6 months ago. Condom broke during the intercourse.

I followed your advice and took several 3-months and 25 weeks tests (all of them ELISA "standard", no p24 test, so I supose that they weren't 4th generation ones), all of them negative.

I was diagnosed with Chlamydia (PCR testing) a week ago, although I haven't had any symptoms. I have been treated with 1g of Zythromax and I am waiting to take another test to be sure it is over. I also took a STD panel (HBV,HCV,etc.) with everything negative, except Chlamydia.

In an hematology test taken 1 month ago (January), everything seems to be OK, but IgA is 370mg/dL. Its usual range seems to be up to 300 or 400, but I don't know if it's OK or maybe it is high or maybe not.

I read one of your answers, where you say that 3 months is always conclusive, EXCEPT in very RARE cases such as immunoglobuline disorders or something like that (sorry Doc, I was never good at Biology!).

I'm afraid, maybe my level of IgA is related to this? I hope not!! IgG is 1300 (it seems in the normal range) and IgM 120. I would like to put this to rest and have your conclusive WHOO-WOO!!

My questions are:

1. Do you think that this value of IgA is fine? Should I worry?

2. Are my 3 months and 25 weeks ELISA tests conclusive?

3. Is the level of this IgA related to the infection of Chlamydia? I also passed a severe tonsillitis, but it was 2 months ago (December)

THANK YOU, you are an angel Doc. I promise a donation and I wait for your response and WHOO WOO OK!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

1. Your IgA level is normal.

2. Yes.

3. No.

The type of immunoglobulin disorder that could interfere with HIV-antibody test results is called hypogammaglobulinemia (low or deficient production of specific antibodies).

You are Dr. Bob-certified to WOO-HOO!

Thanks for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

Be well. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Recent Exposure
Next
your are a fraud and inconsiderate person (WHY DONT YOU ANSWER MY QUESTION)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.