Worried about infecting my brother

Dr.Bob, I hope all is well and wishing you a hot fusion sex filled upcoming valentines day! hah!

Like many of the other people on this forum, I am extremely worried about being HIV infected. But I'm even more worried that I may have given it to my brother!

About 3 weeks after an unprotected exposure to another dude that im not sure of his HIV status, I experienced severe diarrhea, nausea, extreme fatigue, headaches, ect. Anyway, i know i have to wait till 3 months to get tested since symptoms dont mean anything when it comes to HIV.

So, i would be devastated if i was diagnosed but im even more worried about my brother! I live with my little bro and during what i think was Acute HIV, like always, i continued to wrestle, horseplay, and just in general be in close contact with my brother (we share a room). obviously, its my brother so nothing sexual, but im scared becasue i understand that HIV is much more contagious during ARS since the viral load is extremely high. so would it be present in saliva during ARS? and would it be nonsense to say that maybe somehow i could have infected him by spitting in his eye, or i know at one point he grabbed me around the neck messing around and my first reaction was to bite him (not hard).

You know, just brotherly messing around, but he has alot of open cuts all over his arms and legs becuase he is very active with sports and im scared i may have grabbed him on the arm with my hands that are cut up from work, or my saliva from biting him may have gone in one of his open cuts... because now it seems he is experience VERY SCARY RANDOM SYMPTOMS!

for the entire past week he has had a 102 fever with severe persistent cough, one instance of green diarrhea, and just generally not feeling right (stomach, head, ect.). Could i have given him HIV since i was experiencing ARS and therefore more infectious to others!! HELP!! i would die for my brother and i could not live knowing that i ruined my brother's life..

-Very distraught

Hello Very Distraught,

Unprotected sex does place you at some degree of risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently I agree you need to be tested at the three-month mark.

Regarding your little bro, relax Max. HIV is not transmitted by casual contact, including brotherly horseplay! Saliva does not transmit HIV, unless it contains visible contaminated blood. Your brother's symptoms are very nonspecific. To assume they are HIV-related, because of the activities you describe, is irrational. He probably has "the flu."

Good luck with your upcoming HIV test. Remember, a thin piece of latex properly used can prevent all this worry in the future.

Please Answer Please!!!
hopefully the 3rd time asking is a charm! (fever and antibodies?)