Gonna get fired for constantly reading your column (second try)

Dr Bob,

Reading your column is very informative, but unfortunately has me considering angles Ive never though about. Yes, I have a phobia of germs and am currently seeking therapy.

Story: Attacked in a bar. Hit once in the face with cocktail glass. Blood covered my hands which had small cuts from housework ~6-12 hours before. Washed the blood off my hands ~5min after confrontation. Pretty sure blood was mine, but am spooked that somehow this dudes blood splattered on me from the broken glass and got to my bloodstream through the cuts in my hand (~1cm long, not too deep, probably werent sealed up).

Normal people probably wouldnt be concerned at this point. However, ~12 hours after attack and before HIV crossed my mind, I had unprotected vaginal sex with my wife for about 1 min and then finished the session with a condom (were trying not to get preggo again, I know, I know, shoulda used the jimmy from the get-go).

So now im thinking if I was infected, 12 hours might be enough time to have the virus raging inside of me and be highly concentrated enough to infect her in that 1 min. Now Im afraid she has the virus and will pass it on to my 8mo old little girl who is still breastfeeding at night.

You, your readers, and I, are scoffing at the idea I could have infected myself and my family. However, early 90s sex-ed and lifeguard training have ingrained terror in my mind and Im driving myself, and my wife bonkers.

Please asses my risk so my therapist and I can talk about an adequate response to this situation.

Ill send up a donation and vote for a candidate strong on education, health-care, and the economy (if that is possible).

BSD, San Diego

Hey BSD,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible to nonexistent. If HIV were that easy to contract it would have wiped out the planet long ago. Sure, if you're worried, and clearly you are, you can get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark to put your unwarranted fears permanently to rest. The result will undoubtedly be negative. You can update your "early 90s sex-ed and lifeguard training" by reviewing the wealth of more recent and accurate information on this site. "Ingrained terror" can best be overcome by rational science-based facts. Thank you for your donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). In return I'm sending you my best good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test is negative, OK?

Finally, for a candidate strong on education, health care and the economy, the choice is quite narrow. It would be either Obama (#1) or Hillary (#2). Either would make not only an excellent president, but also make history and begin to heal the wounds inflicted on this country by eight years of Dubya's Reign of Error!

Barrack the Vote!

poz to poz barebacking risky?
Apology For PEP question