Try Two :) - please read

Dear Dr. Frascino,

This might be the quickest second question/message you get from a user. Less than 48 hours and I already wonder whether my question has been put on the "not to answer pile" . Taking the time difference from here to there and that I sent it on a Sunday, you probably haven't even read my first one, but still I decided to take the initiative and read through the "masturbation" category you have on your website (sent a question concerning mutual masturbation) to make sure I didn¡t miss a response which is similar to mine.

So after a painful hour of reading ¡V and yes I really think I read all the masturbation ones and yes it really was painful (do people really think masturbation ALONE in BED can cause HIV?!?!?!?!?) ¡V I did not only come to the conclusion that my question hasn¡t been answered before (might be mistaken) but also have ten times more respect for you. I admire your sense of humour and the way you handle some of these questions.

I will have a short version ¡V during mutual masturbation a small (2-3 mm) cut (not deep and no visible bleeding) was caused and probably got into contact with the other guy¡s semen (unknown status). I am slightly confused at how risky such an activity would be? I know MM is considered safe sex but what happens when a small cut is involved? Is it as risky as oral sex ¡V still low risk, but more than non-existent? Or as risky as being top during vaginal sex/anal, because they keep telling you all it takes is a small, invisible cut? How does semen to cut infection take place anyway? When I wash a small cut, does soap swim around my blood stream (okay ¡V I have picked up the logic of some of the posts )

Still want to make a donation but not sure where? Thank you for your time and if you got any spare, some good luck Karma!

Actually I don't have a "not to answer pile." Unselected questions actually are relegated to cyberspace limbo after I hit the delete key. I know it seems cruel, but really important stuff does tend to recycle. Your question, for instance . . . . I'm delighted you took the initiative and time to read through the archives (even if it was somewhat "painful"). To reward your efforts and sooth the pain, I'm happy to respond to the short version of your question. Yes, MM is considered safer sex; however, if HIV-infected bodily fluids come into contact with non-intact skin, there is an HIV-transmission risk. There is no way for me to quantitate that risk, as there are far too many variables to consider, such as the size, depth and timing of the cut; the presence of active bleeding; the HIV viral strain; viral load in the bodily fluids; etc.; etc.; etc. I have no way of evaluating all these parameters based on the information you provided. Basically, I would advise your HIV-transmission risk remains extremely low at best. If you are worried, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. (HIV-antibody tests taken prior to three months are not considered to be definitive.)

Thanks for your willingness to make a tax-deductible donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. Your one gift will touch many lives in desperate need. Donation information is available on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. In return I'm sending you good-luck karma that your definitive three-month HIV test will indeed be negative. (I strongly doubt you'll need the good-luck, as I'm quite confident the test result will indeed be negative!)

Low risk vs. Negligible risk
to all worried well, please read this!!!!