Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

MD EXPOSED UPDATE
Jan 29, 2008

HI MY FRIEND, I feel I already know you. I finally had the chance to visit your foundation website and witnessed negative energy turned into something so positive(meaning despite your accident you were able to turn it around). Just as an update about my last posting published. I am feeling worse with significant constitutional symptoms. My purplish plaque at the tonsil pillar is extending toward the hard palate and have a second lesion developing on my inner left cheek. I went to the dermatologist , as usual he did not like the lesion and took a punch Bx. 10 days for result. I know with my HIV-1 negative results till June 07, 15 months out everybody feels confident about it except me. Why? labs make mistakes, that many? same person? probably a lot of bad luck. But I have never had luck I always had to work hard for what I have. If this turns out to be AIDS related Kaposi, I have 2 years to live, and probably the first case in the literature. At least I'll make history. The hard part is all he hardship that my wife and kids will have to endure, as I write this my eyes filled up with tears of fear ,anguish , desperation and anger. I will keep you up to date. thank you for your support.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

I'm glad you are seeing a dermatologist and that the suspicious lesion on your palate is being evaluated with a biopsy.

I still stand by the fact that multiple negative HIV tests out to 15 months effectively rules out HIV as a diagnosis. Yes, labs can make mistakes, but the odds of multiple mistakes or multiple false-negative tests on the same person are so remote they become nonexistent no matter how bad you feel your luck is.

Even though whatever you have is not HIV/AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma, if indeed someone was diagnosed today with AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma (KS), your impression of the natural history of his illness is way off target! Dead in two years? No way. Folks diagnosed with AIDS-related KS today are put on potent antiretroviral drugs, which drive the HIV viral load to undetectable levels and allow for some degree of immune reconstitution (increase in CD4 counts). This in turn results in the KS melting away as the immune system deals with the KS. Only in severe and very resistant cases do we need to resort to chemotherapy, which, by the way, can also be very effective!

Hold those "tears of fear, anguish, desperation and anger." I don't feel they are warranted!

Dr. Bob

Previous
After 2 months BF informed me he is HIV+...please advise!
Next
Can you give yourself HIV/AIDS? - by semen contact with a cut or wound of yourself? (CAN YOU GIVE YOURSELF HIV/AIDS)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.