The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

After 2 months BF informed me he is HIV+...please advise!

Jan 29, 2008

Dear Doc...

I have been dating a guy for 2 months...just yesterday he told me that he was HIV+. I am HIV-. He did not disclose his HIV+ status to me and although we haven't had "intercourse" we have jerked off together and he did rub his penis against my anus and there was some precum around that area. He insists that our sexual behavior is considered LOW RISK since we actually have not had penetrative sexual intercourse. I am completely floored and am worried that I will contract HIV. I will get an HIV test in 3 months from today. Please advise. Should I be worried ???

Response from Dr. Frascino


Why are you "completely floored?" We must consider the possibility that all our sexual partners could be HIV positive and always, always, always take the necessary precautions to prevent HIV transmission. Although I would have preferred if your stud-muffin had disclosed his HIV status before you two hotties hit the sheets, I agree with his assessment that your activities to date have been "low risk." Should you be worried? No. However, if you are, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark. You also need to have a serious talk with your partner. I suggest you both read through the sections titled "Magnetic Couples," "HIV Prevention" and "HIV Transmission" in the archives of this forum. Good luck to you both.

Dr. Bob

QUICK question for a fast-mind Doc!!!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint