Serodiscordant Conception

Hello, My husband was diagnosed with HIV about two months after we had started dating. We both used your site regularly while we were learning what HIV would mean for him as an individual, and us as a couple. We are now married, and thanks to your advice, I have remained HIV negative.

Now we are thinking about having a child...he is on treatment (Atripla) and CD4s are making a comeback with VL undetectable.

We have done the research regarding Sperm Washing, AI and/or IVF. Due to the cost of those procedures and the incidents of multiple birth, we are wondering if there is any new information on Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis. The most recent information I have found in the archives is from 2006, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Thanks for any advice you might have.

Pre-exposure prophylaxis is not yet approved for any clinical indication, as it is still under active evaluation in clinical trials. The safest way, by far, for magnetic couples (poz guy, neg woman) to conceive a child is sperm washing and IVF. I would suggest you discuss this further with an HIV-knowledgeable/experienced Ob/Gyn physician and your HIV specialist.

Good luck!

"A Kiss Is Just A Kiss ... "
Dear doctor I dont know what else to do or what to believe i am living my life in fear destroying my relationships 3