Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Broken Condom During sex

Jan 28, 2008

Sorry about taking up your time, but this has been nagging at me quiet a bit...

Firstly im in the Army so i have been vaccinated against most diseases possible, some of the hepitius strains etc... But recently after returning from over sea's i was on leave and went for a holiday in Phuket with a bunch of mates. Well needless to say one thing led to another and i ended up sleeping with one of the locals. But knowing what i know about STD/STI's, i used protection - But half way in i felt my condom break and pulled out straight away (at least im pretty sure i was right after it broke...).

Now my question is does the exposer change the likelihood of contracting STD's such as HIV and Hep C etc? So far (1 week after) i have not noticed any SDI indicators - so i guess thats one good thing. But I know the STD rate in Phuket is rather high, and i cant afford to get any STD's in my line of work as it warrents immediate discharge and i love what i do. I will be going in for a STD check and will be speaking to my med doc ASAP on return to my unit. Also i would like to know what the chances are of spreading HIV, if in fact i have caught it, a few days after the incident. Im not planning too, but i did have protected sex a few days after and I am wondering if i should contact them now or wait till after i test myself first.

Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

One thing led to another??? Well what did you expect from a town named "Phuket"???

Your STD/HIV risk would be extremely low if indeed you pulled out "straight away" when the condom failed; however, the risk is not completely nonexistent. Consequently, an HIV test is warranted at the three-month mark. Your hepatitis C risk would be insignificant, as would your risk of passing an STD on to another partner if you have "protected sex."

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Hi...Kindly answer
Next
"A Kiss Is Just A Kiss ... "

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.