Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Thank you from the bottom of my heart...
Jan 26, 2008

Hi Dr. Bob,

I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind attention and answer in Dec. 19. I am so sorry if i somehow dissapoint you by taking an oral rapid test at 92 days post exposure over a non/remote risk (protected vag intercourse) which turns out to be negative. Now I'm living my life to the fullest... Thanks again...Hope you'll have a long and happy life... GOD Bless!

Regards, ~a never ending woohoo screeaming blood donor guy

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Thanks for your thanks.

WOO-HOO!

Dr. Bob

Should I donor my blood ever again?!? Dec 19, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob,

I've been following your forum for a month or so...I think this site and forum has done a marvelous job indeed... Ok, so get on to my question...I am a regular blood donor at my local blood bank, I've been doing it for the last 4 years now and thinking to continue doing it...But the problem is, I've made a mistake by having a protected vaginal intercourse with a FSW about 2,5 month ago (condom on before and after intercourse and it seems intact)...I've never experience any symptoms (except a couple night of insomnia and a couple day of lack appetite whisch I assume came from anxiety because I'm thinking that I've put myself at risk for getting HIV)...I know that I've always been neg (last was about 3 months ago), but now I am wondering should I ever donor my blood again ever since my I've put myself at risk...Can you give me guidance, what should I do? Should I donor my blood again (in January) without testing for HIV first or should I test for HIV first?

Thank you doc for your attention, I hope you would be so kind to answer this answer in your so so busy schedule...

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

If indeed your vaginal sex was "protected," I see no cause for concern. By "protected" I mean the latex condom was used properly and did not fail. HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. I see no reason you should not continue to be a blood donor. Just answer all the questions honestly on the pre-donation questionnaire.

Be well. Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
travel ban policy
Next
YOU ROCK DR.BOB!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.