Poz/Neg couple question - don't think you've been asked this before :)

I am an HIV- woman in a reltionship with an HIV+ man. We met about 2 months ago and have been dating since. He disclosed his status on our 2nd date. Even though I was shocked I decided I wanted to get to know him better and see how things progress. I am happy that I did as I seem to have found in him the love of my life.

We are taking intimacy very slowly and being very safe. I have read alot about safer sex and feel I am well informed about the risks associated on all levels.

Here is my question: My boyfriend has a colostomy bag due to Crohns disease. He is hoping to have the colostomy reversed in the next several months. My concern is something that he's mentioned to me. He drains the bag several times a day and is very conscientious about hygiene/washing his hands and any surrounding areas after he drains it and using sanitizer.

We are wondering though if HIV is found in the waste product (I imagine it would be fecal matter though this may be the incorrect term since the bag is attached higher up in his intestines.) There is a also the possibility of course of the bag breaking or leaking. If this were to happen while we were being intimate is there a risk to me as far as HIV is concerned?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Hello Magnetic Couple,

Gastrointestinal contents, including fecal material, are not considered to be an infectious fluid/substance from an HIV perspective, unless there is visible blood present. Gastric acids readily destroy HIV.

Good luck to you both.

Can you please send me your good luck karma?
Is new generation of Rapid -ve test for HIV 1 & 2 conclusive for this situation?