Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

can i be hiv positive and still have a high white blood count?
Jan 26, 2008

I am a straight recovering sex addictwho has had fiascos with prostitutes and one night stands (99% protected). Last month i came down with a terrible 'virus' that included coughing, mucus, nausea, diareahha, puking, and weight loss. This has lasted a month. My first thought was HIV or Aids. I was going to (and still intend to) get tested but am too sick to leave the house other than to see my doctor. I had to go to the ER last weekend over this and the dr gave me phenegran and a z-pack. While i was there; he did blood work. My white and red blood cells were normal, but my hemoglobin was up b/c of my smoking. I have been clean from this 'addiction' for over six months. Do you think this is just a bad viral infection, or just the onset of something worse? As i said before; i still plan to get tested, but it worries me sick. When i get a cold it normally lasts for just a few days

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

To answer your initial hypothetical question: "Can I be HIV positive and still have a high white blood cell count?" Yes, it's possible. As for your HIV risk, if 99% of your "fiascos" were protected, you still have 1% of them still to consider. As mentioned frequently in this forum, symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. The only way to determine if you've contracted the virus is to get an HIV-specific test three months or longer after your last fiasco (potential exposure). I would also strongly encourage you to quit smoking, as this will indeed kill you in a very undignified and painful way.

Good luck cleaning up your act!

Dr. Bob

Previous
I'm all alone and starting to feel suicidal
Next
offspring of ann coulter and dick cheney!! ahhahah

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.