The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

should i trust this laboratory? plz doc i beg u to help!!

Jan 24, 2008

Hello doctor,

I had an exposure with a gay male, actually it was my 1st and unique exposure. I'm freaking out cause I recently knew that he is engaging in barebacking. We had frottage, with him rubbing his penis against my anus but not going in .. No blow job. My concern is that I felt a couple of days later a little sorness down my anus like a rug burn or paper cut. I am concerned that if he had precum that I could have been infected.

I tested negative after 8 weeks of potential exposure. HIV testing was performed with a single test called Elfa/ Vidas method result negative (it says 0.02; >0.25 is positive, <0.25 is negative). I phoned the lab to get some info they told me that this test is more reliable than Elisa. Do u think so doctor Rob? do I need to retest for HIV using ELISA?

L.A. from Morocco

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello LA from Morocco,

The reason to retest is not the lab or type of test, but rather that you tested too soon. HIV-antibody tests taken prior to the three-month mark are not considered to be definitive. Your HIV risk is minimal to nonexistent; however, if you want an accurate and definitive test result, you'll need to repeat your test at the three-month mark.

Good luck. I'm confident all will turn out well.

Dr. Bob

NucleomaxX and Lipoatrophy
donation on its way

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint