Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

A word of thanks
Jan 24, 2008

Recently I have entered into a relationship with a guy who is hiv+. He was upfront with me from the get go. I like to think of myself as a moderatly knowledgeable person. Im aware of the few risks, when the proper percautions are taken. And this is something we have been very open in talking about.

My problem started recently, when I realy started to become aware of my true feelings. I guess this makes me a selfish person, since Its not the the fear of contracting, but rather the fear of eventualy loosing the one that I may love.

I want to thank you for having such an open forum, reading over it the past few days has helped me in so many ways. I know that this is something that I will eventualy have to discuss with my significant other, and in time I will. I just do not want to upset him over such a thing. But for now, my mind is at much greater ease. Knowing that there are others out there who are able to deal with the same issues, is very reasuring to me.

Thank you again!

Oh and to those who don't think your questions have not been answered, READ ON! Since it has mostlikey been answered several times, in many different ways!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Thanks for your thanks and for effectively utilizing the archives. I'm hopeful your post will encourage others to do the same.

One of the many issues magnetic couples have to deal with is the fear that the poz partner could get sick and pass on to whatever comes next. Survivor guilt is very real in this setting. I encourage you to discuss this openly with your partner. It's a testament to the depth of your love. When most people think of the concerns magnetic couples face, they automatically jump to the obvious one of fear of infecting the negative partner. Certainly all of us involved in magnetic relationships must come to grips with this; however, it's certainly not our only concern, as your touching post clearly demonstrates. What most of us come to realize was perhaps best expressed in a line from the film "Steel Magnolias." Shelby, one of the main characters who is also taking a health risk, states, "I would rather have thirty minutes of wonderful than a lifetime of nothing special."

From one successful magnetic couple to another, I wish you every happiness and a life full of "wonderful."

Dr. Bob

Previous
I NEED HELP DOC. donation on the way
Next
NucleomaxX and Lipoatrophy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.