Not found in the Archive and no response from yu.could it be an unprecedented?

Dr. Bob: Yu are really sent by God to help those seemingly helpless in their minds and you are doing something marvelous those worried wells can really appreciate. But, I strongly doubt that I am lucky enough to be of them. My previous mails which got no reply from you render me more uncertain about my status. Am I really an unprecedented case?

I am a 36 male and 25 months ago I had an unprotected oral and Vaginal with a prostitute. Just next day, we had another oral and vaginal, both protected. 3 days after the exposure I was wrongly diagnosed as one of the STDs and then treated in a local hospital with high-dose Interferon for 5 days as well as some sets of antibiotics. The first ARS related symptom fallen upon me is 2weeks¡ night sweat( never before in my life I have had such dreadful drenched sweat at night ) and 2 weeks after that a low grade fever lasted for 2 days. Several rashes emerged on chest one month or so after the exposure. Thereafter, I got 19 times¡ HIV antibody Elsa through the following 24 months and all came back negative, among which a negative WB happen at about 4th month along with however a false positive RPR and TPPA for Syphilis ( it proved to be false because I tested several times thereafter with all negative RPR and TPPA and a negative TP-DNA). The last negative HIV antibody Elsa was on the De.,11st, 2007, nearly full 24 months away from my exposure. These Neg results, however, cannot put my worries into a rest especially when I found on Internet a literature in the 12th month away from my exposure state that High-dose Interferon treatment immediately after the infection change HIV anti-body-producing mechanism for some reason beyond my limited knowledge.

Symptoms like seboherric dermatitis on back and chest persist in the 5th,7th,11th,20th,and seems it become worse now. Diarrhea was on and off during these later 12 months, and seems it become worse at the same time. Then, even after standard treatment of Chlamydia which is a real problem of mine my penis rashes are still there and itchiness seems unchanged. What¡s more, Dr, said I have yeast on penis which relevant treatment can not rid it off for me. My 6 years old daughter swollen gland on her neck in the 5th month ( nodes are still there now)and My wife¡s Pityriasis Rosea ( over the body for 25days) in the 18th month away from my exposure simply indicate that I have something.

Dr. Bob, is that 5 days¡ high-dosed Interferon the real culprit which renders these negative HIV antibody test all false and made me a real unprecedented case. Please, please give me an answer, Bob!

Yours

Unprecedented case???? No, not at all. In fact your case is incredibly common and the archives are filled with similar stories! The basic premise is a possible HIV exposure followed by some very nonspecific symptoms followed in turn by irrational and overwhelming fear of HIV infection. Repeated and highly excessive HIV testing then ensues. However, despite overwhelming and incontrovertible proof that HIV is not the cause of the symptoms, the unfortunate person remains convinced he or she is HIV positive.

Turning to your specific case, I have absolutely no idea why you would have been treated with high-dose interferon for five days for an STD!! Would you care to elaborate on that detail? At any rate, even five days of interferon would not affect HIV-antibody tests out to 24 months later! Your 19 negative ELISAs and negative Western Blot are definitive, conclusive and excessive! HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

Your family's dermatologic complaints seborrhea, pityriasis rosea and "yeast on penis" should be evaluated and managed by a dermatologist. These are not HIV-related, because you do not have HIV!

I urge you to level with your wife if you have not already done so. This not only would help you confront your guilt, but it's also the right thing to do. I also strongly urge you to see psychological or psychiatric counseling to help you confront and hopefully conquer your irrational and totally unwarranted HIV fears.

Not only are you "lucky enough" to be a WW, you've essentially been one for the past two years!

Stop worrying. Start WOO-HOOing.

am I really HIV negative
Another worried well (*knock on wood) (BUSH HIV PREVENTION PLAN 2007)