am I really HIV negative

dr. bob, thanks for the great work that you do. I am also a physician who is embarrassed about this question. I tested pos for HIV in 1986, then graduated med school and went into denial. I always practiced safe sex after that, and have been totally healthy over the past 22 years. normal CBC, Cmp, RPR, Hep B,C all negative. I finally got the courage to retest this year, after 22 years, and have done four oraquick tests at three different clnics. three were blood, one was oral. All have been negative over past 7 months,yet I can still not convince myself of being neg, after 22 years of thinking I was positive. Do you feel in your expertise that I am negative and need no further testing? Would appreciate any input, doc to doc! thanks millions for your help dr. Bob

Well, most of us who graduate from medical school generally go into internship and residency rather than denial, but OK. As a physician, I am somewhat disappointed you managed to spend 22 years in such a state! If everyone denied their potential illnesses as effectively as you did, you and I would never have had any patients to care for! OK, enough lecturing. Your initial HIV-positive test in 1986 was a false-positive. You would (and should) have realized this as soon as you had a follow-up confirmatory test. It really shouldn't take "courage to retest," but rather just common sense! Hopefully others who are reading this post and find themselves in similar situations will learn from your experience and realize that "de-Nile" is a river in Egypt and not a way to treat a potential infection. Your four negative OraQuick tests are indeed definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No further testing is warranted. You should be WOO-HOOing, not worrying. You may also be kicking yourself in the butt repeatedly, saying "What the hell was I thinking?" Please assume one of those swift kicks is from me, OK?

Congratulations. Welcome to the rest of your HIV-negative life (22 years late).

inconclusive hiv results from donation
Not found in the Archive and no response from yu.could it be an unprecedented?