Doctor visit confusion

Hi Dr. Bob, Thanks for taking a second to read and respond to this. In a visit to my primary care physician today for the full scope of STD tests, I mentioned that I had a negative HIV antibody test done last week (four weeks post protected sex with a high risk person--CSW). I expected her to say not to worry about it because I told her it was protected, but she said since the person was high risk, she suggested I wait 6 months and come back for another test. I know your response if there is real risk would be three months is conclusive, but what do you make of an otherwise reputable doctor suggesting testing 6 months from protected sex? Is she just being ultra conservative (like some sort of mutant offspring of Dick Cheney and Ann Coulter--what a horrible image!! Sorry) Thanks, Doctor. T

Hey T,

Protected sex is indeed protected, assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail, no matter with whom you are "doin' the nasty".

For routine screening, a negative test at three months or longer is definitive in my book. Regarding your "otherwise reputable doctor," there are guidelines (generally older, more conservative ones) that recommend a six-month window period. However, with improvements in HIV-testing assays, most HIV/AIDS specialists would advise three months is plenty.

As for the lovechild of Dick Cheney and Ann Coulter, it would indeed be a mutant. Although I kind of like the idea of Ann and Dick being together. They deserve each other. Dick can snarl at her and Ann can spew her toxic venom at him. A perfect G.O.P. sanctified union.

for the sake of steve
Please help