Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hello Again sir from pakistan
Jan 16, 2008

Hello sir its me mohammad from pakistan ur biggest Fan you also helped my sister who is suffering from breast cancer sir i have a question again from you as i heard a very medically educated man saying that 'UPWARD TREND IN ELISA IS VERY DANGEROUS' sir i have a test 13 months after my last exposure and the cutf off value was 0.42 but in first tests it was 0.32 and 0.35 so now i am worried again all the anxiety is coming back to me now i think the value increased becuase i am BECOMING positive i would offer my humble donation to your foundation again and thank you so much for helping my sister as well you rea a great man and an inspiration for me best regards mohammad. sorry for the english sir

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Mohammad,

The gentleman you quote may well be "very medically educated," but whatever situation he was referring to when he said "UPWARD TREND IN ELISA IS VERY DANGEROUS" does not apply at all to your situation or to folks taking routine HIV ELISA tests outside the window period. Cutoff values refer only to how the ELISA assays are performed. They are based on an internal control that allows us to distinguish "positive" from "negative." I would much prefer it if laboratories only reported out positive or negative, rather than the assay details, as these values only lead to confusion and often anxiety for folks who don't understand how enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA) are performed. Your "negative" test at 13 months once again corroborates your definitive HIV-negative status. You are not becoming positive. Your values merely reflect normal assay-to-assay variability within the negative range. The numbers could have just as easily gone the other way, in which case you would not be getting "more negative" so to speak. The bottom line about cutoff values is that negative is negative. Once again, Mohammad, you are unquestionably and conclusively HIV negative.

I do hope your sister is tolerating her treatment well. Please send her my best regards. Mohammad, I also send you my warmest personal regards. Please remember HIV is not your problem!

Be well. Stay well. (You are indeed well!)

Dr. Bob

Previous
UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!
Next
Conclusive or not?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.