The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help wondering CNA resubmitted form the Fatigue and Anemia Forum

Jan 14, 2008

Hi. I am a CNA with a nursing home in my town, and I've found out that I have performed care on a resident with HIV/AIDS. My question is... Can HIV/AIDS be transferred by urine, or a bowel movement? And what if the one who has HIV/AIDS has a rash, HIV/AIDS can be transferred by mucuous membranes, am I at risk? What about cleaning urinals? What all ways can you get the infection in my line of work? Please help. Thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino


1. Can HIV be transmitted by urine or feces? No, not unless they contain visible blood.

2. Are you at risk if the HIV-positive patient you cared for had a rash? No.

3. HIV can permeate mucous membranes. This is true. Consequently you should avoid getting HIV-infected bodily fluids on your mucous membranes.

4. "What about cleaning urinals?" Well, what about it? I'm sure it's not the most pleasant of your tasks as a CNA, but as indicated above, urine cannot transmit HIV, unless it contains visible blood.

5. As for ways you might contract HIV occupationally as a health care worker, I would suggest you review the information at the following Web site: I would also remind you that basic universal precautions must be followed when caring for any patient. You should review the universal precautions guidelines, policy and procedures at your agency.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Please answer am in the military

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint