Thanks Dr. Bob very much!

I just want to thank you for your answer to me... I really admire you for work you are doing for people with HIV/AIDS and people who are concern about HIV transmission. I should of written to you a month ago...I was acting like a lunatic...giving my husband a hard time...thinking that I got HIV through a needle in the LAB or at the Doctor's office. I was having so many sleeples nights and not paying attention when my teenage son needed me the most:(. I trust you a lot! After I've read your comments to me - I think the recovery happend right at that moment. I will follow your advice and will find a professional. However, if you know any good psychotherapists you can recommend who are dealing with such issues - I will really appreciate that. THANKS A LOT!!! YOU ARE THE BEST. I wish you health and happiness in the year 2008.

I'm glad you are gaining better perspective on your irrational HIV fears. As for a referral to a therapist, since I have absolutely no idea from where you are writing, I really can't help you. My advice is for you to check with your general internist. He will provide you with a referral. Anxiety and irrational fears are common complaints and can be focused on many different things from HIV to spiders, snakes, heights, flying or waking up with Dick Cheney in your bed. Therapists are well equipped to help you cope with any irrational fears, OK?

Concern about getting HIV through a needle during blood test Jan 11, 2008

Hello Dr. Bob. I know you are a busy person. I have been reading a lot on you site and kindly wnat to ask you to respond to me. I will donate $ 100.00. I cannot eat, cannot sleep, have a child...that required my attention. It is really hard for me to concentrate and live a full life... Several month ago I went to get tested for HIV ELISA and DNA prc. The results were nehative. Then, I started to frick out about possible exposure during the blood drwan procedure...I was not sleeping...was worried to death. So, I went to get my physical done - begun worried again that re-used needle was used on me. Then, I took another test at my doctors' + HIV ELISA test again. It was negaive. Now, I am still under stress and do not know how to cope with my craziness. THanks a lot Bob, I would really appreciate if you respond back to me.

You cannot acquire HIV from getting an HIV test! Needles are not reused. You are HIV negative.

I believe you accurately diagnosed your problem when you wrote ". . . I am still under stress and do not know how to cope with my craziness." You definitely need professional help with your anxiety. Your fears of being HIV infected are completely unwarranted. Counseling can help you confront and conquer these irrational worries. Your general medicine doctor should be able to give you a referral to a therapist to help in this regard.

Thanks for your donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org).

I hope you're soon WOO-HOOing rather than worrying.

Be well.

blood splash into eye
IM GETTING SICK AND TIRED OF YOU