Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

THE NEVERENDING STORY (I need your answer Dr.Bob)
Jan 11, 2008

Hello Bob, I hope this is my last post in this forum, although I have donated several times and I will continue to do so. You are the best and have been a great support for me during this horrible months.

I wrote 1 month ago, this was my question:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Archive/Testing/Q189146.html

(4th December 2007)

Resumming, I had a single exposure with a sexworker in August, 5 months ago. It has been the only one, and it will be the last one, of course. In fact it wasn't "unprotected", the exact word is "condom broke" (I apologise again for my bad English). Everything was fine, but suddenly the condom broke and I replaced it immediately. It was maybe 2 or 3 seconds of unprotected sex, maybe less, but as I have learnt, that is enough to be "risk exposure".

Then I found this incredible site and I found you, and 3 months after the exposure, the ELISA was negative (in fact I took another extra-PCR test after 114 days, as you can see, negative too).

So I follwed your advice and tried to stop worrying. 3 months is conclusive.

But today, after 5 months and 10 days, I found her (the sexworker) and I couldn't avoid asking her about her serostatus. She didn't react very well (I understand), and she told me that she took tests every 6 months, and that she was fine, but you know Doc, she was clearly lying.

I asked her (very polite) if I could see her tests and she answered "no", of course. The conclussion is, that I am totally sure that she has never taken a test (believe me). Or, what could be worse, that she is HIV+ and she doesn't want to say.

So, all my calm was over!!!It is the neverending history: when can I be sure that I am negative?Today, I have taken another ELISA test, the last one, after 5 months and 10 days, and it was negative again.

The doctor told me that, with this last test and the 3 1/2 month PCR, it's absolutely conclusive. But I don't know what to believe, I need your WHOO WOO approval and rest, and continue with my life.

Let's think in the worst case, and let's suppose that in fact she is HIV+, are all my tests conclusive anyway???I hope so, I just can't wait another 3 weeks to the 6 month mark.

I need you opinion because it is so important for me. Do you think that with such a short exposure and so many tests (PCR too), it is sure that I am HIV-?

I promise that I will donate again Bob, and I promise that I will not make any more questions if you think that I should put this to rest.

THANK YOU AGAIN.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Welcome back to the forum. I do believe it's time that this never-ending story finally concludes with a happily-ever-after ending. Your repeatedly negative HIV tests out to 5 months and 10 days plus negative PCR at 114 days are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No further tests or worry is warranted! You have a Dr. Bob-certified WOO-HOO!

Thank you for your tax-deductible donation to the Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). They are warmly appreciated and I'm sure will bring you excellent cosmic karma for a long, happy, healthy and prosperous life.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Symptoms/Oral Sex Risk
Next
The best place for HIV treatment?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.