Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Friends & safe sex
Jan 11, 2008

Hello Dr Bob,

After years of topping I decided I wanted to throw my hat into the bottom ring.

I got together with a man who was a friend of mine and we started to play.

I know this guy doesn't have a lot of sex partners and he states his last test was negative. However safe sex was always on my mind and I realize that you shouldn't believe everything you hear.

Most of the activity was rimming, frottage and him rubbing his penis between my thighs and butt cheeks.

As a top myself I know that sometimes a top likes to tease the bottom and "knock on the door" a couple of times before actually entering. I do it myself. But something wasn't quite right. I could tell he was getting excited cause the precum was starting to flow. I realized what he was about to do. He wanted to penetrate me without a condom. I stopped him immediately. He never actually entered me but the area around anus did have some saliva and precum down there.

Feeling that I needed to turn down the temperatue I told him that we should finish by masturbating. (Which we both did)

My questions are: 1. He did some fingering on me while I masturbated. (About a quarter to half an inch) Would this along with his saliva and some precum be an issue? I'm thinking it could be.

2. Secondly I learned that all tops don't think a like when it comes to safe sex. When I cooled things off and said we should masturbate a bit I also asked about him putting on a condom so we could continue and really get down to business. He said we should just finish with masturbation. So we did. When it was over and I asked about why he didn't want to penetrate me he actually said he wasn't planning on using a condom. I was shocked. This lead me to point number 3.

3. Sex with friends may actually lower one's sense of safety because we want to trust them more. But I learned people aren't always what they seem. Now I have a friendship on the rocks and I tend to blame myself.

So just to reiterate, should I get tested?

Thanks

Top2Bottom

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Top2Bottom,

1. Your HIV-acquisition risk is extremely remote; however, if you're worried, get a single rapid HIV test at the three-month mark.

2. You're absolutely correct: Not all tops think alike! It's always best to set the ground rules before hitting the sheets!

3. Friend, casual hookup or future ex-boyfriend, the safer sex rules must always apply!

Good luck! Stay safe. Stay well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
latex vs. polyurathane condoms
Next
I tried to die

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.